Friday, July 12, 2013

Bad Day 366--Onward and sideways

Sometimes I wonder why I signed up for this. Just what exactly is good about leaving a job you love after only two years? I admit, that when you are in a place you don't like with an evil boss who gives you heart palpitations every time the phone rings or the door opens it can be a good thing to have an expiration date on your job. But as I contemplate leaving my dream job on Monday, I'm having second thoughts. My only consolation is that I am moving on to my other dream job, so although it is painful to leave, I am really looking forward to the next chapter.

We are having a girls' night in tonight. We ate Chinese food (gluten free this time) and we watched an episode of Say Yes to the Dress--Bridesmaids. I love looking at all the dress options, but why does any store even carry lavender satin? It's a travesty of fashion.


And now we are watching Seven Brides for Seven Brothers again. Although I am pointing out often that it is a very, very bad idea to marry someone 15 minutes after you meet him, and also that a wife is more than a maid and a cook. And that corsets must have been really uncomfortable even though they made your waist super tiny. I honestly don't see how Jane Powell could sing and dance let alone breathe in that dress.


This princess is having a worse day than me and not just because she has the weirdest tan line ever.

FILE - This file photo provided by the Irvine Police Department shows Meshael Alayban, who was arrested July 9, 2013 in Irvine, Calif., for allegedly holding a domestic servant against her will. Alayban, who prosecutors said is one of the wives of Saudi Prince Abdulrahman bin Nasser bin Abdulaziz al Saud, was expected to appear in an Orange County court for arraignment Thursday, July 11, 2013. (AP Photo/Irvine Police Department, File)

No, it's because she was arrested for human trafficking because she hired a maid to bring with her to the US and then only paid the maid $220/month and made her work 120 hours a week and kept her passport so she couldn't leave. Thankfully, the maid had kept the pamphlet on her rights that the US Embassy had given her during her visa interview, so she knew she could go to the police for help. So she did and the police promptly arrested the princess. So thank you, Princess, for reminding me to be grateful that my country has labor laws that are enforced and no human has the right to own another, no matter how entitled they feel. And also, don't forget to put sunscreen on your nose.

No comments:

Post a Comment