Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Good Day 1--Home

Husband is back home where he belongs and our long, hard, sad year is over. I learned a lot of things; some things I wish I didn't have to know like what a toilet flapper is or that you can drip water through the floor into the living room below when your shower is clogged and overflows and what happens when you don't change your furnace filter. And that I'm allergic to wheat. (I already knew about the chocolate.)

And I learned that I have amazing children and that occasionally it is handy to have a dog around when you are sad and having a purple day and can't get out of bed because you have to get up to walk The Dog. I learned that I have some very good friends, and I made some new ones. I learned that a lot of people thought that advice on learning what to wear to work from fashion magazines was as stupid as I thought it was. And I was reminded how much of a family the Foreign Service is to me. People from every continent (except Antarctica of course, unless the penguins have internet) are cheering for us that Husband is back. And I learned mostly that I am not alone and that families from all over the world have experienced or are experiencing the same thing.

So thank you, everyone who went on this journey with me. Thank you for the support and encouragement and suggestions about people who are having a worse day than me. And thank you to all the soldiers and sailors who protected Husband while he was in Afghanistan, and thank you to all the diplomats who are still working hard to end wars and make the world a better and safer place for everyone. I am more grateful to you than I can say.

This blog has been wonderful for me in so many ways. It gave me something to do in the evenings and I looked forward to writing it every day. People asked me if I thought I would run out of things to say--apparently not! But now we are starting a new chapter, so I hope you will join me there.

http://www.isitbetterthanabrownie.blogspot.com/

And finally, you know who is having a worse day than me today?



5 comments:

  1. Thank God, thank God, and thank you for sharing your year with us.

    God bless and keep you and our best welcome home to Husband,

    Artemis and Adonis

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know you but have been waiting all day for this post. Happy your family is all back together!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing your journey with us. I stumbled across your blog, and you helped me through a tough year of separation, too. Now we both have our husbands back and life is that much sweeter. So glad you are continuing to blog. All the best to you and your family...and that even includes The Dog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So happy for you! Congrats on making it through the year.

    - formerly in Peru

    ReplyDelete
  5. Please check into having your blog made into a book...for Family History reasons, if nothing else! I use Blurb for mine...and I like it a lot. I've already bookmarked the brownie blog...and look forward to hearing your voice in my head as I read. So grateful Ray is home and you are all together again! Enjoy the time, mai roomate!

    ReplyDelete