Saturday, March 30, 2013

Bad Day 263--I feel like I'm dragging the whole jet behind me

I have jet lag. I know you are wondering how I could have jet lag when I've been at home all week but I haven't actually been home. We've been in England; London to be exact. But because I got paranoid about advertising that our house would be empty for a week, I didn't say anything on the blog. I hope you will forgive me for not being exactly truthful. We did meet Husband there and we had a great time, even though it was freezing cold and gray and very un-springlike. But I hear the weather in DC was much the same, so we didn't miss that. Anyway, here are some of the highlights from our trip along with quotes about the activity.

Changing of the guard at Buckingham Palace--I can't see. I'm cold. I can't see. What's happening? I can'y see anything! Can we go get lunch? 

Tower of London--If you Americans had paid your taxes, all this could have been yours! I hate all tour guides except the really cool Beefeater funny ones. 


Brass rubbing at St. Martin in the Fields--Mom, this is really fun! You should do this next time you come on business.

The London Eye--You have not seen London until you've seen it from the top of the London Eye. (This was Child 3's bit of wisdom even though she was at first afraid to get on.)

The Making of Harry Potter Tour--The butterbeer was the best part. (I might almost agree with this except that we saw the actual sets and walked down Diagon Alley.) Also, Hagrid's head was animatronic. Who knew?


Windsor Palace--Down with the tyrant King George! (They had a lot of fun making faces at the portraits of George III)

Stonehenge--I thought it would be bigger. Sheep train! (There are lots of sheep in the surrounding fields.)

I learned to really love "jacket potatoes" which are gluten free. I don't love baked beans on them, though. Or coleslaw. Child 3 and I ate a lot of chips without the fish. Child 2 made up for us though and ate more than her fair share of chips. Everyone but me got British shirts or sweatshirts, although I got a beautiful shawl from the Edinburgh Woolen Mills. And we spent lots of time with Husband, holding his hand, teasing him about falling asleep, and generally having family togetherness. And then we all sobbed when it was time to leave for the airport--including Husband. But six weeks now until his next R&R and then six weeks until he comes home for good. I can't believe we've made it this far.

Someone suggested that this 8 year old girl in California on a field trip is having a worse day than me, and I totally agree. She was on a trip to a science museum with class, when someone shot her in the leg with an arrow. Seriously! Poor thing. She was very brave and will be fine, but still. No child should be shot with anything on a field trip, and that includes Child 2 who was shot in the face with a rock from a sling-shot on a field trip once in third grade, and the school didn't even bother to tell me. Another mother called me to let me know because she was so upset about it. You can bet I didn't let that slide by. I think the principal's ears are still ringing, as they should be. But still, you Sweet Brave Girl, I hope you feel better soon, and I really hope they catch the idiot who shot you. That person deserves jail time.

2 comments:

  1. Welcome home and Happy Easter. See y'all when you wake up.

    xoxo,
    Artemis

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe how jealous I am that you got to do the HP tour....it is one on my bucket list. I hope you had a GREAT time in London. {green with jealousy but happy for you}

    :)

    ReplyDelete