Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Bad Day 92--So soooore!

So I exercised again today even though I didn't have much time because I'm having one of those days where you sit down for 1 second and someone comes and asks you for something like when will dinner be ready or can you proof read my science homework or where is my calculator? OK, that was actually all one child, but the other two contributed, too. And I am so tired, and I don't have time to do all this stuff! But Child 1 promised me if I would buy her a membership, she would make me go exercise with her and she is keeping her word!

But now I am so stiff and sore I can hardly move. And I'm tired. And there are not enough hours in the day. And I swear the next person who asks me to do something will be banished. Banished, I tell you! This is when it really sucks to be a single parent. OK, actually it sucks all the time. I don't know how military spouses do this over and over again.

So I discovered a new rule for people whose husbands are in Afghanistan: no more reading books where lots of people die and they watch their families be destroyed before their eyes. I'm reading a great book about the hurricane in Galveston, Texas in 1900 that destroyed the whole city. It's fascinating and really enjoyable right up to the part where the houses started collapsing and people's children start getting sucked into the water and they all die. And I'm reading it thinking, great. Now I have another thing to have nightmares about, as if Afghanistan isn't enough. This is what the city looked like afterward.



I know, I don't live in Galveston, or anywhere near the coast for that matter, but I read to escape, and although Issac's Storm is a great read and I will finish it because I have to know what happens in the end even though I took a whole class on Texas history and I have been to Galveston lots of times and I know that the Strand is now on a sea wall and I totally get why, I still want to find something else to read next that isn't so scary and awful. So I'm taking suggestions. Let me know if you have read something recently that transported you to a totally different world but is not science fiction or fantasy and has no vampires. Something Sophie Kinsella like but not by her because I have read all of her books and the next one won't be out until next summer.

The governor of Florida is having a worse day than me.

Oops: Florida Gov Rick Scott accidentally gave out phone sex number instead of the state's meningitis hotline

He was supposed to be telling people about a hotline they could call for information about the meningitis outbreak that is killing people, and instead, he gave the number of a phone-sex line. He says he just transposed a couple of numbers, but now everyone is wondering whether he was familiar with the wrong number and that's why he gave it out. Sorry, governor, that's politics for you. But thank you for reminding me that it's nice not to be a public figure and that when I get my phone number wrong, the only person who laughs at me is Child 1 whose job it is to correct me when I forget our number.

No comments:

Post a Comment