Saturday, December 8, 2012

Bad Day 151--Finally, Christmas time is here!

We made a good dent in the Christmas decorations and finished decorating one of the trees and Child 3 is upstairs right now starting on the 2nd. The first tree is mine and has a theme and looks the same every year. We use forest green and cranberry ribbons as garland and fill in the bare spots with poinsettias. This year, I wanted to switch things up by using gold ribbon instead, but I was told by Child 1 in no uncertain terms that the tree must look the same every single year or it won't be Christmas. She loves the way we decorate the tree and she puts on Christmas music and sings along and says that our tree is the prettiest she's ever seen and it's perfect. So I guess I shouldn't mess with either tradition or perfection. Some families change the theme of their trees over the years, but we won't. Not as long as Child 1 is in charge. So about 5 more years and then I can to tropical! Just kidding. But someday, we will need new ribbon. This is not our tree, although it's not far off the ugly one we bought in China but that one was fake and bright green. Kelly green. Oh, it was horrible.

Cheap Christmas Tree 3

Child 3 is decorating the tree by herself because Child 1 and Child 2 are babysitting tonight. Not each other, other people's children. Responsible teenage girls are in high demand in December and mine are very responsible about most things. Not chores. I hope no one expects their house to be clean or the dishes done. And forget taking out the trash. But they can expect lots of playtime with the kids and tons of stories because they are very good at playing and reading. Also napping, but I really hope they don't do that while babysitting.

These elephant conservationists in Thailand are having a worse day than me. I know you're thinking that they're in Thailand and working with elephants, so what could be so bad? This. This is what is so bad.



Her job is to pick coffee beans out of elephant dung. Coffee beans which are then washed and roasted and turned into coffee that is sold for $500 per pound.. First, I don't even want to know how bad that smells, and second, what an awful job! It does help to pay the keep for the elephants, but ew! So thank you, Thai mahouts, for reminding me to be grateful that I don't drink coffee and also, I will never have to dig through elephant dung. Good luck with your business, though. I hope it makes enough money to keep the elephants safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment