Friday, January 25, 2013

Bad Day 199--What a cheater!

Husband is a big fat cheater. Not that kind of cheater, but the kind that pretends the score is in his favor when it's really not. He wrote me that we only had 20 weeks left and then I got all excited and thought 20 weeks is only 5 months! And then I thought, wait. So I got out the calendar and my copy of tour tracker which is a nifty excel program that counts down how many days you have left in your tour. I use it for husband's tour, not mine because I love my job and I can't bear the thought of leaving it which I will have to do in 6 months. In Seoul I looked at it almost daily and would sometimes hold down the button that counts down the seconds but since I got into my current assignment I haven't looked at it once. Anyway, tour tracker says that we have 24 weeks, not 20. Husband was miscounting on purpose and not including the weeks when he will be on R&R. He says they don't count if we're together which is totally not true.

I am still feeling sick and it is snowing and I made chili for dinner and now I'm watching Sliding Doors to make myself feel better but it's not working.



Gwyneth Paltrow is great, but I really wanted to watch Dirty Rotten Scoundrels only I can't find it anywhere. Not Apple, not Netflix, not Amazon, which is a shame because it is a very, very funny movie and I was looking forward to hearing the children shout "Oklahoma, Oklahoma!" But it's not to be, so I'm watching people miss trains and kiss on boats instead and it's not quite cheering me up because now I miss Husband even more.

Pretty much everyone in South Africa and Botswana and Zimbabwe are having a worse day than me because 10,000 crocodiles have escaped from a farm and are roaming around in the rivers and eating things. They've caught thousands, but there are still thousands more on the loose. Here is a picture of just a few of the ones they've caught.

This photo taken Wednesday, Jan. 23, 2013 shows some of the recaptured crocodiles  back safely on the farm they escaped from, at Pontdrif, South Africa, near the Botswana border. About 7,000 of the creatures escaped when the gates on a dam were opened this week to alleviate pressure created by rising flood waters. About 2,000 had been recaptured Friday, Jan. 25, 2013. Video from the scene shows people hunting down the small-ish crocs at night, tying them up and taking them back to the Rakwena Crocodile Farm, in northern South Africa. The farm, which didn't respond to an email or calls seeking comment, used to hold 15,000 crocodiles (AP Photo) SOUTH AFRICA OUT

So thank you, crocodile hunters, for making me grateful that I don't live on a river full of crocodiles. Also, they wouldn't like the snow very much. Now I have to go and watch Gwyneth Paltrow dump her icky boyfriend in the movie.

1 comment:

  1. "May I go to the bathroom please?"
    -pause-
    "Thaaank you...."
    -Ruprecht the Monkey Boy

    hahahaha! one of my favorite movies too! Thanks for reminding me and for carrying on the tradition with your own.

    ReplyDelete