Monday, March 11, 2013

Bad Day 244--Sniff

I am coming down with Child 1's miserable cold. I knew I would as soon as I found out she had been hanging out in my bed. Now my nose is runny and my throat is scratchy, and my head hurts. I made chicken noodle soup with those delicious potato noodles made by an Orthodox Kosher company in Brooklyn and I hope it works. I don't have time to be sick. Also, I don't want to be sick because it's no fun and having a cold is so much more miserable when you are the only parent and you don't have anyone else to take over and feed you chicken noodle soup and send you to bed. These are the amazing potato noodles in case you are wondering and want to try them.



But instead of going to bed, I am arguing with Child 3 about doing her homework. I seriously hate homework, and I think Child 3 probably dislikes it as much as I do, but the thing is, she still has to do it. I don't have to do my 5th grade homework because I already turned that in about 25 years ago--ish. But now I'm stuck in some Groundhog Day loop and here I am thrown back into 5th grade--labeling parts on an atom. OK, technically I'm making Child 3 label them, but I have to tell her what they are because she left her science binder at school. Thankfully, I am actually smarter than a 5th grader, so this should go pretty quickly, if only there weren't like 50 more pages of homework to finish.

 Child 3 is a bit of a procrastinator, so she's a little behind. OK, a lot behind. She gets it from Husband who once gave me my birthday present in July. Remember, my birthday is at the beginning of March. This was the same year I gave birth to his first child. Yep. Four months late. What if I had waited four months longer to give him the baby? Yes. You're right. That would have been much more of a punishment for me than for him, but still, he needs to experience the joy of procrastination when someone else is doing it but he is paying the price. Husband told me today that next year Child 3's homework will be his sole and exclusive responsibility and I won't have to lift a finger. Yeah, right. Actually, that might happen earlier than he thinks because if I have to hear one more whine about how someone doesn't want to do her homework, I swear my head is going to explode! We have finally finished with atoms and now we are working on Spanish. Funny thing. I don't speak Spanish. Thankfully, again, it's 5th grade Spanish so I think I can figure it out based on my rusty college French and Google Translate. See? Smarter than a 5th grader. Too bad, I'm not smarter than a Foreign Service Officer. Oh wait!

This mountain climber in England is having a worse day than me and not just because he's climbing a mountain in winter on purpose. I personally do not think that any sport that involves tools with the name "crampons" could be very fun. Also, there is the whole danger of falling down the mountain, which is actually what happened to this fellow and he got it all on film. This was the view he had when he fell down the mountain.



When you watch the video, it is obvious that the mountain is trying to kill him because it threw a big chunk of ice at him. So thank you, Mr. Mountaineer, for reminding me to be grateful that I have never angered a mountain, that I know of. Because I am too sane to climb up them when they are full of ice and snow and you need a pick ax. Seriously, why would that be fun? It doesn't involve the beach or snorkel and fins at all! And it's freezing! Now I'm going to bed for about 5 minutes before Child 3 comes in to finish the rest of her homework. Or my head explodes. Either one.

No comments:

Post a Comment