Monday, February 18, 2013

Bad Day 223--Come on and zoom, zoom, zoomah, zoom!

The title has nothing to do with my post but Sister 1 and I were talking about our favorite clothes from our childhood and that song popped into my head. I'm not sure how many people watched Zoom because it was PBS show filmed in Boston, after all, but now that I think about it, those rugby shirts were just awful.



Sister 1 is leaving tomorrow and everyone is very sad. We've had a great time driving her around to all our favorite spots. We went to an antique mall and I bought a painting of Venice which I am going to hang in my bathroom. It was pretty cheap for a pen and ink and watercolor, and I couldn't have afforded it if I were buying it in Venice, but it cost less than a shirt from the Gap, so I snatched it up. It's quite pretty and now it will remind me not only of my trip to Venice, but also of Sister 1.

We dragged her out to where we used to live so she could see our old tiny house near the bad part of town and she was very polite about it. To be fair, we also went to the outlet mall and she bought a key chain in the Vera Bradley store and I bought a bunch of passport covers which will really come in handy because we travel a lot and now we can know whose passport is whose.

Speaking of traveling, Sister 1 was talking about getting caught with lotion in the airport security line, just like everyone does from time to time. I completely forgot once to put the lotion in the little baggie and even though the baggie only had like three things in it, they acted like they were doing me a big favor by allowing me to add the tiny tube of lotion to the bag. Anyway, Child 3 broke out into a song and dance about airport security to the tune of Les Mis, and we laughed for about 5 minutes. "Alas, you have a bottle of lotion! Now, we have to confiscate!" (It goes to that song about black and red.) She and Child 2 are working on a "do you hear the airlines sing?" version. I have some creative children. I couldn't be prouder.

These hunters in Belgium are having a worse day than me. Apparently, there has been an explosion in the wild boar population in their town, so they organized a hunt. They got 200 hunters and tried to sweep the more than 170 boars into a place where snipers could kill them. Those seem like fairly good odds and this animal doesn't seem like it has much of a chance against that many people.



However, the boars must have been fairly clever because at the end of the hunt, only one boar was killed. So to the boars, I say, good on you! And thank you, Belgian hunters, for reminding me that tactics that worked against the Mongol horde in China in the 13th century won't work in the 21st. The boars must read history.


No comments:

Post a Comment