Thursday, November 22, 2012

Bad Day 135--That's gratitude for you.

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone! Here is the list of what I'm grateful for this year. OK, I'm thinking. . . no, really. There must be something. Oh yeah.

1. The children, all three of them.
2. Gondola rides.
3. Skype.
4. Calphalon roasting pans.
5. Pumpkin pie.
6. That I can eat wheat and therefore pumpkin pie.
7. The new Sherlock.
8. Fitting into my wedding ring again.
9. Cheese.
10. Shopping online.

Things I am not so grateful for.

1. Afghanistan.
2. Broken toilets.
3. Lice.
4. Nausea.
5. Homework.
6. Children who won't do their homework.
7. Schools who insist on assigning homework to children who won't do it.
8. Power outages.
9. Bidding on jobs that I didn't get.
10. Being allergic to chocolate.

I hope your Thanksgiving dinners were as delicious as mine. I have an awesome dressing recipe that uses cream cheese and I make an incredible pumpkin pie. We have the same exact menu every year and I have to say, it's perfect. We have the perfect sweet potato recipe and we make the same green bean casserole that everyone makes because we like it and I don't care if the food snobs disdain it, we love it so we'll keep making it every year.



Because Thanksgiving is about tradition and I'm happy to make sure that we keep ours. I even brought those fried onions to China. And maple syrup for the sweet potatoes. And I'll do it the next time we go overseas, too, which won't be for at least three years because my new job is in DC again. The children are extremely happy about that. We'll be broke because it's very expensive here, but they'll be happy.

Janitors at this Swedish church are having a worse day than me. Apparently, someone left a hatch in the church tower open in the 1980s, and since then, pigeons have been roosting there and leaving droppings--2 tons of droppings which then had to be cleaned out. It took around 160 garbage bags to do it. So thank you, Swedish janitors, for reminding me to be grateful that I don't have any pigeons in my attic. If we did, The Dog would let us know.



1 comment:

  1. And I am grateful for Fabulous Friends and their wonderful daughters, who are turning into admirable people. I am grateful for love and people to share it with. And Dog and silly purple glitter on Dog's nose. And sleepy teens, and the last dregs of ReadyWhip and Royal Blue sequins and pumpkin pie in #2's hair. Not to mention the friend with a husband in Afghanistan who actually includes my own husband in her Thanksgiving Blessings.

    God bless and keep you all,

    xoxoxo,
    Artemis the Grateful

    ReplyDelete